Saturday 16 June 2012

32 - Leaving the Nest

“S’mae? Er … hel-lo.”
“I’m not deaf.”
“Oh … hi … mmm … er, are you going to come out and let us see you, then?”
“Never!”
“Only, we thought you might be getting a bit peckish, cariad.”
“I’m not, and my name’s not Carrie anything; it’s Rita.”
“Rita, now; lovely. You sure you’re not hungry? We got some hare for supper, like, and I’m sure it’ll stretch three ways.”
“Hare? Gross!”
“Well, there’s some lamb, perhaps. Yes, I’m sure Megan can rustle up a bit o’ lamb, couldn’t you dear? She says yes, only it’ll take a little longer see, because well of course we weren’t expecting you.”
“Didn’t want to come here in the first place anyway.”
“Well, I can see someone ruffled your feathers alright.”
“Two days I’ve been in this.”
“Well then, all the more reason to come and say hello, isn’t it; stretch your wings a little.”
“Where the hell am I?”
“Glyn Ceiriog. Er. That’s Wales. We’re just west of …”
“I know were Wales is, I’m not stupid. I just didn’t book it like a holiday or something, did I? I wasn’t expecting it either; I want to go home.”
“Ah, well … erm … the thing is, only I don’t think they ever take anyone back home. This is your home now. My own mam came from Missenden way: had me shortly after she arrived, and two more broods after that. Come out and have a little fly around your new place a bit; I’m sure you’ll fit in just fine. There, that's lovely."

No comments:

Post a Comment